Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the annual block party

About a month ago, I received a call about the annual block party. Bring juice boxes and "pop". That's what they call soda in these parts. That's easy enough. The theme this year is "International Olympics". So, choose a country to represent. Bring a dish from that country. And feel free to dress according to the country you're representing. Man. This sounds complicated. I think I'll skip that costume part.

Last year, I skipped the block party altogether. I had a meeting (conveniently) and I was ridiculously pregnant. I'm not that cold about missing social gatherings. I love, love, love free food that I haven't prepared.

So, yesterday afternoon, I finally decided on Hummus and pitas...representing Greece...I don't know which came first. But, I was glad to have come up with a dish that was somewhat ethnic. And, I guess I could have been representing any number of countries because Hummus isn't specific to just Greece...anyway...I've digressed.

So, about 10 minutes before I was supposed to be out setting up, I realized, "Greece?! Ancient Greece. Olympics. TOGA?! (Roman?) Close enough!" I got out a white curtain I'd been saving for such a time as this. I googled, "how to make a laurel". And, I was pretty dang excited about my costume representin' my peeps in Ancient Greece (er...Rome...whatever!). I made an extra laurel for Brent and we headed out our front door to greet about 50 neighbors. The ones we see only once a year.

You won't believe how they were ALL dressed? No. You will. They were dressed in shorts and t-shirts and, well, your normal everyday attire.

What's that you ask? Am I seriously the ONLY one who dressed up for this festive occasion? Yes. Yes I am. Me. In my toga. And laurels. And all I could do was laugh and enjoy my kickass costume. (and have a beer to take the edge off the embarrassment.)

9 comments:

Jenny said...

It was a beautiful costume. You could pass for Greek, especially in your laurels.

Kelly said...

That is awesome!!!! You are truly a greek goddess!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe (from looking at that picture) that you're not photogenic. Beautiful! ~K

Jenna said...

karla. i love you.
heart,
jenna
p.s. i am absolutely not photogenic. brent took that picture and said, "this one actually looks like you. usually they don't."

tiffany said...

AH. I'm mean HA.

we are the spencers said...

you are awesome, you looked awesome. that happened to us at a halloween party once. shaun was wearing udders. no one else was dressed up except me.

Vander Griend said...

all i have to say is that the fact that you wore a toga to a block party pretty much sums up why I have loved you dearly for the past 10 + years

Anonymous said...

You are the best sport I have ever met!!! Way to go...I laughed so hard!! I am just picturing your expression as you greeted all the schmucks who chickened out!!

Anonymous said...

one year later...
awesome post.