Friday, June 13, 2008

Don't make the same mistake that I did. Censor everything...including this POST!!

I was really, really focused at the library. I was focused on two things. Get a new chapter book to read aloud to the boys. I chose The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White. I know nothing about it so I haven't started it yet. I'll read some online reviews before we get started. The second thing I was focused on was getting a Museum Adventure Pass. These things are awesome. You check it out just like a book, except what it gets you is free admission to various museums around the Twin Cities. You have a week to use them. Sweet. I actually feel entitled to free when it comes to touristy kinds of things. I can spend $5 on coffee, but admission? Yikes! That's what tax dollars are for! Also, I come from St. Louis which is the CHEAPEST place to be a tourist. Free AMAZING Zoo. Free Science Center. Free Art Museum. And easy to find FREE parking at all of the above. So, let's just say I was a little focused on getting my FREE admission, when the boys were checking out their books. Oh, and I did have a Jillian on the hip. That's distracting. (And, by now, you're like, what?? What Happened??? What did you miss, Jenna?)

This:


That would be Daddy and Frank's wedding. Yep. This was looked over and read before I even saw that it came home with us.

Now. I have friends who would not be opposed to this book. I love you. I really, really do. But, this is NOT how I want my children to be introduced to the homosexual lifestyle. They pick up an Eric Carle book, put it down, pick up a book about Daddy and Frank getting married...No. This was not fair. This knowledge of homosexuality is too much for my young kids, because SEXUALITY is too much information for my young kids. This is a BURDEN of KNOWLEDGE. Children should be protected from knowing about certain things REGARDLESS of my moral or religious views. My young kids don't yet need to know about street drugs or tracheotomies or prostitutes or marital sex or a whole buncha stuff. I'd really like to think that the child-level picture books in the children's section at my local library would be a place where these things wouldn't be addressed. Please, public libraries, let ME decide this for my children. Please!?!

Do you have any stories like this? Please tell me!!!

2 comments:

tiffany said...

Wow! I was at the library the other day too. Right after I talked to you, I picked up a book entitled "Families." I KNEW what it would have in it. Yep, the first example of a family was a girl adopted by two daddies. Of course. Grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh....I just love ya...can't take it anymore...your husband is stinkin' adorable standing in that bathroom...your answers to all the questions are so great..fun, sweet, deep...love it...love it all. The library experience...I am just waiting for the next blog...the update on what Avery and Miles thought about the insightful book they just read. AND the video of Avery rapping in the bucket...he had me laughing from the beginning when he was so genuinely startled by your presence. And the "put you in the toilet hope you enjoy it." He is brilliant. Let's get him a contract right now!!